Dr. Umar Lawal is a Botanist (Plant Metabolomics) at the Center for Biodiversity and Conservation, Department of Biology, UMYU Katsina. He has a keen interest in studies on Plant metabolomics andPhytomedicine. He uses Proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (1H NMR) spectroscopy combined with multivariate data analyses approach. He study the differences in metabolites of Ipomoeaaquaticasamples at different developmental stages and there correlation to the antioxidant and α-glucosidase inhibitory activities. His contributions to science include investigation on the metabolic changes in I. aquatica at different growth stages using NMR-based metabolomics approach in Malaysia. His current research focuses on the application of Phytomedicine in Modern Drug Development, biofuel and profiling of Medicinal plant using Metabolomics.
Dr.Lawal obtained a PhD in Food Biotechnology from the University of Putra 2016. Hisdid his Masters studies at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (2005), at the Department of Pharmacognosy and Drug Development (2009) and B Sc.in Botany from Bayero University Kano, Nigeria,2002. He holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in 2008 and completed his Secondary at FGC Daura (1996).
- Lawal, U., Mediani, A., Maulidiani, H., Shaari, K., Ismail, I.S., Khatib, A. & Abas, F(2015). Metabolite profiling of Ipomoea aquatica at different growth stages in correlation to the antioxidant and α-glucosidase inhibitory activities elucidated by 1H NMR-based metabolomics. Scientia Horticulturae 192: 400-408.
- Lawal, U., Shaari, K., Ismail, I.S., Khatib, A. & Abas, F (2016). Antioxidant and α-Glucosidase Inhibitory Activities of Isolated Compounds from Ipomoea aquatica. Records of Natural Products 10:6, 701-707.
- Lawal, U., Shaari, K., Ismail, I.S., Khatib, A. & Abas, F (2016). Alpha-glucosidase inhibitory and antioxidant activities of different Ipomoea aquatica cultivars and LC-MS/MS profiling of the active cultivar. Journal of Food Biochemistry. May 21, doi: 10.1111/jfbc.12303.
- Lawal, M. Maulidiani, K. Shaari, I. S. Ismail, A. Khatib& F. Abas (2016). Discrimination of Ipomoea aquatica cultivars and bioactivity correlations using NMR-based metabolomics approach, Plant Biosystems. An International Journal Dealing with all Aspects of Plant Biology, DOI: 10.1080/11263504.2016.1211198.
- Abdulhamid Ahmed, Mansur Liadi Yusuf, Sulaiman Sani Kankara and Umar Lawal (2018). Towards accomplishing the roll back malaria initiative: Phytochemical screening and antimalarial activity of ethanolic leaf extract of Ricinuscommunis (Euphorbiaceae). Vol. 12(19), pp. 258-263, DOI: 10.5897/JMPR2018.6608.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES/ HONOUR SOCIETIES
Botanical Society of Nigeria (BOSON): Member
External research links