Philosophy and Objectives of the University
Philosophy: A world-class university such as the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University should be a reflection of the hard work, culture and values of the people of the State. The university shall thus serve as a vehicle for national unity, peaceful coexistence and scholarship where present and future leaders of our nation would be moulded. As a university of the highest quality, it shall be open to men and women without discrimination on grounds of culture, race, religion and or socio-economic background.
The university shall be tailored towards the principle of equity, justice, fairness and above all, the universality of knowledge. The main preoccupation of the university shall be the search for knowledge through teaching and research, which would further translate it into a centre of attraction for all those in search of noble ideas for societal development.
The Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University shall further provide improved access to quality university education in Nigeria in view of the increasing demand for education through its innovative technology learning delivery modes. Also, welfare packages shall be made attractive to attract high quality teaching staff from all parts of the country and of the world.
The objectives of the University are:
- To serve as centre of academic excellence through teaching, promotion of research, advancement of arts, science and technology and human resource development;
- To provide regular courses of instruction in the humanities, the sciences and other spheres of learning of a standard required and expected of a university of the highest standing;
- To encourage the advancement of learning and give all persons without distinction of race, religion, creed, sex or political persuasion, the opportunity of acquiring a higher education;
- To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavor;
- To widen access of higher education through the adoption of dual mode of learning delivery, that is face-to-face and distant learning modes;
- To promote sound moral principles, ethics, national unity, excellence and service to Allah;
- To relate its activities to the cultural, social, religious and economic needs of the people of the State in particular, and Nigeria in general;
- To offer opportunities to all persons for the pursuit of knowledge in all fields;
- To develop high level human resource to meet the needs of the State and the nation as a whole;
- To advance understanding of local and national development problems through research;
- To advance the application of knowledge for the uplitfment of the well being of the people of the State in particular and Nigeria in general;
- To undertake any other activities appropriate for a university of the highest standing.