Thumbing through the pages of this Students Handbook of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University is a strong testimony to your passion for curiosity and learning which are the two indispensable qualities necessary for human progress. This also means that you strongly believe in the power of knowledge and education to shape your destiny just as they shape the destinies of nations. For us in the Department of Political Science, this means appreciating the need to leverage upon available resources, skills, and competencies to provide you with the best type of education that empowers and equips you with the required expertise to develop your thinking abilities, build your self-confidence, and boosts your competitiveness in a knowledge-driven economy.
The Department of Political Science is prepared and committed to providing the best possible atmosphere and environment for actualizing the dream of imparting knowledge underpinned by the core values of integrity, trust, patriotism, and service to humanity. As a student of the Department, you will be working with a team of passionate and dedicated academic staff keenly working for your success; and mentors who are eager to pull down inhibitive barriers in order to see you realize your potentials and attain your goals in life.
The academic degree is not a run-of-the-mill type that fails to prepare students to the realities of life outside the university campus. Our B.Sc. program is designed in such a way that it covers a broad range of topics with local and international contents and bearings so as to prepare you for a career in the academia, public service, and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
As I welcome you most heartily to explore what the Department of Political Science of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University offers, allow me to assure you that we strive to be a Department like no other in the Nigerian universities.
Aliyu M. Katsina, B.Sc., PGDE, M.Sc., Ph.D
Head, Department of Political Science
Brief History of the Department
The Department of Political Science is one of the five departments established by the University as part of the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences (FSMS) in 2012. The first batch of academic staff to manage the new department was recruited between March and September, 2012. Enrolment of students and commencement of full academic programs subsequently followed in September 2012. Four years later, the department has witnessed modest expansion quantitatively and qualitatively, thereby surmounting in the process, some of its challenges to emerge as the most vibrant and attractive department in the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences (FSMS) of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University.
The philosophy and core mission underpinning the B.Sc. Political Science programme of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University is to produce graduates that are not only capable of comprehending, dispassionately analysing, accurately predicting and actively influencing the behaviour of variables in their political environment, but also candidates who are critical enough to distinguish truth from falsehood and that are accommodative enough to tolerate divergent opinions and bold enough to question accepted assumptions and traditions in their community.
Our program seeks to inculcate among our graduates a deep and extensive mastery of political theories, tools and instruments necessary for comprehensive and beneficial use of political science to advance the progress and development of Katsina State and its people, Nigeria, and humanity in general. The programme has the following general objectives:
- To provide an attractive, stimulating, and congenial learning environment for all students;
- To develop and shape students’ understanding of the socio-political problems of their immediate community and the nation at large;
- To encourage open-mindedness in political inquiry and tolerance towards diversity of opinions and perspectives;
- To actively engage in conducting researches with positive impacts on the progress and development of Katsina State in particular, Nigeria and humanity in general;
- To engage in a continuous process of curriculum innovation and development that is sensitive to changes within the discipline and the outside world;
- To assist students in acquiring a range of cognitive and critical skills relevant to their intellectual, vocational, and personal development;
- To create an atmosphere for desirable behavioral changes which would help the students to develop in consonance with values of national integration and international peace and cooperation;
- To produce graduates imbued with the values of honesty, integrity, patriotism, passion for social harmony and development, and who will champion the progress of humanity; and
- To develop and nurture relevant manpower for the development need of Nigeria in particular and the world in general.