Free enterprise is regarded as one of the most important innovations of mankind. It is this that has given us the opportunity, freedom and propensity to exercise our choice in all different frontiers of life. In education, the creation of new universities and new departments to offer new courses that are relevant to the needs and aspirations of local, national and global communities has become one of the ways of facilitating choices and promoting the spread of prosperity among the global community. The Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU) and, indeed, the Department of Business Administration is one such facility that was established by its founding fathers to facilitate and promote freedom of choice and the spread of business knowledge. Business has become synonymous with our lives. The proliferation and spread of small businesses in the society and the attendant benefits have signalled the need for a knowledge base to enable us understand how to multiply, sustain and control such enterprises. These needs have given rise to the development of courses in Business administration in our institutions of higher learning.
In UMYU, the B.Sc. programme came into being in 2012 to give opportunity to all Nigerians to acquire business education. The programme is structured such that it enables students to access the knowledge, skills, competences, and network they need to become successful in a variety of settings. The intended outcome of the B.Sc. programme is that students are expected upon completion to become business leaders, researchers/consultants, teachers, entrepreneurs, managers, and captains of industry. The programme handbook has been prepared to provide all the necessary information that you may require in both understanding the structure of the B.Sc. Honours Business Administration as well as the rules and regulations, and guidelines that need to be understood and followed for a smooth and successful studentship in the department.
It is my sincere hope that you will make good use of the Handbook throughout your period of studies in the University. The department has engaged the services of highly qualified staff to provide support and guidance in the pursuit of a pleasant and fulfilling academic life in the University.
It is with deep sense of gratitude to the Almighty that I welcome you to Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina and the Department of Business Administration; the Department established to promote free enterprise.
Dr Junaidu Usman
Head of Department
History of the Department
The decision to start a B.Sc. Degree in Business Administration was part of the UMYU’s strategic plan to expand the university through the establishment of new programmes in the Faculty of Social Sciences. A proposal was made to the NUC in 2010/2011 to establish the B.Sc. Business Administration Programme. This was followed by an inspection exercise, and later a verification exercise by the NUC team in 2012. Upon the verification of the facilities, staffing, funding, and the curriculum, the NUC approved the commencement of the programme.
The authorities of UMYU, through the Senate, took a decision to establish the Department of Business Administration to offer Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Business Administration and related courses. In June 2012, my appointment as a visiting scholar to drive the process leading to the establishment of the Department of Business Administration was effected. Working as a team with the people from the Academic Planning Unit, Establishment office, the Academic office and other units of the university, a plan of action was drafted and put into action. This activity gave birth to a new Department of Business Administration.
The guiding philosophy of the BSc Business Administration Programme is the development of managers, captains of industry, decision makers, management scholars and entrepreneurial minds, who will steer the ship of industry, government and non-governmental enterprises, educational establishments, whose skills, knowledge and competences would enable them to manage existing businesses, reinvent them, and facilitate the establishment of new enterprises, thereby creating new jobs and add social and economic value and the sustenance of enterprise culture.
The objectives of the BSc Business Administration Programme are:
- To provide students with skills, knowledge, and competences in venture initiation, creation and management, and in problem solving, marketing, leadership, interpersonal relations, financial management, and the management of human resources.
- To develop the spirit of enterprise among the new generation of students.
- To develop the managerial capability of students through exposure to management theory and practice.
- To provide students with business skills to enable them meet the requirements of industry, government and social enterprise.
- To nurture the spirit of entrepreneurship and knowledge sharing among students through business studies and education;
- To provide students with the required skill to identify, exploit opportunities and develop viable enterprises that are capable of creating jobs and competing in the domestic, regional, and global environment;
- To stimulate students’ interest in fostering productive culture in the larger society through teaching, advisory and consultancy services, mentoring and active engagements.
- To inculcate in students the spirit of self-reliance, the desire to excel and live a meaningful and productive life.
- To instill in students the need for independent thinking, economic freedom and respect for talents.
- To prepare graduates for higher studies in the field.
- To develop students’ character, mode of reasoning and world view to conform to societal norms, beliefs, practices and expectations.