Background of the Course:
Solar photovoltaic systems are considered very promising technology, due to their sustainability and environmental friendliness. However, in spite of all the advantages the system can offer, it has been observed that most of the photovoltaic system installed in the country, weather for street lighting, domestic power supply, Hospitals etc., are not meeting their expectations. Some failed just few weeks after commissioning, while others hardly meet their expected lifetime for full cost recovery. These challenges could be attributed to improper PV system design improver supervision to ensure strict adherence to system design, poor observation of standard safety practice in the field as well as the use of poor quality materials. it is therefore imperative to grow substantial number of skilled manpower in the country who will fast tract the deployment of PV System in an efficient and cost effective manner. It is in this regard that the aforementioned course has been planned to be hosted at the premises of the Centre.
Objectives of the Course:
The course has been designed to meet the competency level required by the industries and employers in the Nigerian Energy Market. Which include the ability to undertake the following;
- Plan installation work
- install PV Systems
- Perform maintenance and troubleshooting
- Maintain records required for monitoring
- Observe health and safety regulation
- Manage and maintain relationship with customers
Benefit of the Course:
The benefits to be derived by the participants attending the course include amongst others be a competent solar installation supervisor capable of designing, installing as well as troubleshooting solar PV system. In addition, participants would be able to coordinate and manage solar PV installation in Mega projects.
Abridged Course Content:
In order to meet the objective of the course the following course contents shall be covered:
- introduction to solar photovoltaic
- components and electrical connection
- Basic system sizing
- Site preparation
- Installing a photovoltaic system
- Maintenance and troubleshooting
- Workplace safety and first aid
- Entrepreneurship and customer relation
The course is open to candidates with a minimum of ND Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Mechatronics, physical sciences and Renewable Energy or Comparable evidence of technical competence to be assessed via pre-qualification interview. A special refresher course has been designed for practitioners in the energy sector who do not possess the requisite qualification in order to enable them join the course.
The course will run for 4 weeks commencing from Monday 16th April to Tuesday 15th May, 2018.
The cumulative fee per participant is N150,000.00 which covers the following;
- Course Fee
- Lunch and tee Breaks during training sessions
- Personal protection Kits; Helmet, Safety boots, Safety goggles and hand gloves
- Training manuals Hard Copy
- Training bag and writing Materials
- Field Trips and Video Documentary