The Center was established in May, 2008 at the University Research Unit under the Office of the Vice Chancellor to provide functional research, development and training in Renewable Energy Technologies for sustainable development of Katsina State and to harness the abundant renewable energy technologies in the State and partner with some of the more established counterparts in areas of interest nationally and internationally.
The Center operates the following Specialized Research Groups with membership from across the Faculties of the University:
- Solar Energy Research - Thermal and Photovoltaic (PV);
- Wind Energy Research - Horizontal and Vertical axis wind turbines;
- Small Hydro Research - Intends to set up a 50Kw demonstration unit at a location near the University;
- Bio-fuel Research - Use Jatropha (chin-dazugu) and Moringa (zogale) oil for biodiesel production; and
- Energy Efficiency and -How to operate conventional power system with Conservational Research more efficiency and other energy conservation method
A state of the art building was constructed, furnished and equipped for the Center by the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) which was commissioned in September 2012.