The Law establishing the University with all the powers therein is Law No. 7 of 2006 and a Law to amend the Katsina State University (Ammendment) Law 2009. The amendment changed the name from Katsina State University to Umaru Musa Yar’adua University.
His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Aminu Bello Masari, CFR, Governor Katsina State
Alhaji (Dr.) Umaru Mutallab, CON
The Governing Council for the University as provided by the Law establishing the University is the highest governing body of the University with overall responsibility for the policy and control of the finances and properties of the University.
Functions of the council include approval of the annual budget, annual accounts, annual reports and other documents which shall reflect the result of the University’s activities. Other provisions on functions and procedures of the Governing Council are detailed in the third schedule of the University Law.
The Council shall consist of: Pro-Chancellor (Chairman); Vice-Chancellor; Deputy Vice-Chancellor(s) two persons appointed by the Senate from the members of that body; one person elected by the Congregation from among the members of that body not being a member of the Senate; one member elected by the Convocation from among members of that body; three persons to be appointed by the visitor; the Commissioner or Chief Executive in charge of Higher Education in the State; the Permanent Secretary, Katsina State Ministry of Finance.
- Ambassador Zakari Ibrahim, mni, CON, Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of Council
- Professor Sunusi Mamman Vice Chancellor
- Vacant, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration)
- Dr. Hamisu Musa, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
- Professor Danjuma Maiwada, External member
- Dr. Bilyaminu Idris Kadandani, External member
- Dr Salihu Lawal, External member
- Alhaji Idris Tune, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Katsina State
- Dr. Yahaya Zayyana, Member, Senate Representative
- Dr ALiyu Mukhtar, Member, Senate Representative
- Dr. Dikko Bature Darma, Member, Congregation Representative
- Mallam Nasiru Bello, Registrar and Secretary to the Council
Congregation is a body provided in the University Law and its composition, functions and other proceedings are in the Third Schedule of the Law.
Congregation consists of the Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor; full time members of the academic staff; the Registrar; the Bursar; the University Librarian; and every member of the administrative staff who holds a degree of any University recognized for the purposes of this Statute by the Vice-Chancellor, not being an honorary degree.
Congregation functions generally on all matter affecting the welfare of the University and shall have other functions in addition to the function of electing a member of the Council, as may be provided by Statute or Regulation.