It is my pleasure to welcome you to Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina and the Department of Economics. The department offers a programme leading to the award of degree of Bachelors of Science (Economics).
The staff of this department will ever be ready to assist and guide you towards a pleasant and fulfilling academic life in the University.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Economics is one of the pioneer departments in the Faculty of Humanities of this University which was established in 2007. The Department started with Mal. Muhammad Yusuf as pioneer Head. He was succeeded by Dr. Dalhatu Galadanchi then on sabbatical from Bayero University in January, 2009. Mal. Mukhtari briefly acted as the HOD until in November, 2010 when Dr. Bilyaminu Idris Kadandani took over the department.
The department started with 11 academic staff and 5 visiting lecturers. The rate at which the Department is growing in manpower is interesting because many staff in the Department are currently enjoying Post-graduate study fellowship in various Nigerian and foreign universities.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
To train graduates of economics who will be well equipped with modern tools of economic analysis to meet the ever growing demand of experts in various fields of national and international economies in areas such as development, industry, energy, international trade banking and finance to make them ready to assimilate the modern technological advancement to make life better for the people. In line with the University’s mission, the training will be geared towards producing self employable, marketable, self-sustaining and self reliant individuals with great entrepreneurial skills.
- To develop and improve students’ understanding of the economic problems at various stages of national development.
- To provide necessary training and exposure for economics graduates well qualified to use modern tools of economic analysis suited for employment in diverse areas of applications;
- To develop student’s critical judgment with the bid to contribute to national developments;
- To produce graduates that are well equipped to handle issues related to wealth creation and entrepreneurship;
- To produce graduates that are suitable for employment in diverse areas such as Banking, Tax administration, Budget and Planning, International Trade, Human resource management, Financial Planning etc
- To Provide an appropriate environment that will enable students develop their creativity and promote the spirit of economic self-reliance;
- To create an atmosphere for desirable behavioral changes that will help students to develop values that are in consonance with the national objectives such as hard work, probity, commitment, patriotism and discipline;
- To prepare the graduates with a sound background required for any responsible profession, administration and social undertakings particularly as per the expectations of local and national economy;
- To provide broad and balanced foundation of economic knowledge and practical skills for graduates with high intellectual abilities required for successful pursuance of postgraduate studies in any of the specialized fields of economics.
|S/NO||NAME||RANK||GENDER||QUALIFICATION||TYPE OF APP|
|1||Prof. Chika Umar Aliyu||Professor||M||Ph. D. Economics||Visiting|
|Dr. Bilyaminu I. Kadandani||Reader||M||Ph.D. Economics||Vising|
|2||Dr. Mustapha Mukhtar||Reader||M||PhD Economics||Visiting|
|3||Dr. Abubakar Abdullahi Sokoto||Reader||M||Ph.D Economics||Visiting|
|4||Dr. Mohamed Ahmed Bakori||Reader||M||Ph.D. Agric Econs||Visiting|
|5||Dr. Yusuf Mohammed||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D Management||Tenure|
|6||Dr. Amina A. isma'il||Senior Lecturer||F||Ph.D. Economics||Sabbatical|
|7||Dr. Yusuf Umar Dantama||Senior Lecturer||M||PhD Economics||Visiting|
|8||Bashir Umar Faruk||Lecturer I||M||M. Sc Economics||Tenure|
|9||Salimatu Rufa’I||Lecturer II||F||M.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|10||Dr. Musa Kabir Alhaji||Lecturer II||M||Ph.D. Economics||Tenure|
|11||Murtala Abdu Kwara||Lecturer ll||M||B.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|12||Salele Iro||Lectuer II||M||MSc. Economics||Contract|
|13||Gazali Ibrahim||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|14||Ahmed Adamu||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc Oil and Gas Economics||Tenure|
|15||Dr. Abubakar Abdulsalam||Lecturer ll||M||Ph.D. Economics||Tenure|
|16||Umar Aliyu Abubakar||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc. Economics||Tenure|
|17||Ahmed Halliru Malumfashi||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|18||Faisal Muhammed Dikko||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc Energy Economics||Tenure|
|19||Ahmad Garba Khaleel||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|20||Asma'u Abdullahi||Assistant Lecturer||F||B.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|21||Sa'adatu Abba||Assistant Lecturer||F||B.A Economics||Tenure|
|22||Suleiman Lawal Gambo||Graduate Assistant||M||B.Sc Economics||Tenure|
|23||Muaz Muhammad Lawal||Graduate Assistant||M||B.Sc Economics||Tenure|