English and French
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department started in January 2007, at the inception of the University during the 2006/07 session. Dr Aliyu Kamal, a specialist in linguistics then on sabbatical from Bayero University, Kano, was made the pioneer Head of Department in the same month. At the end of Dr Kamal’s sabbatical, Mal. Iro Sani acted as the Head of Department until in January, 2009 when Dr E.Quarcoo joined the Department from University of Ghana.
When the Department started there were few students but as at the 2010/11 session, it has a student population of two hundred and forty four (244) distributed as follows: 100 level 28; 200 level 62; 300 level 57; 400 level 97 students. Courses mounted for B.A. English Students are also offered by B.A. Ed Students.
The programme has been developed to fit the demands of a modern University in a Savannah environment. The vision of the department is to equip students with language and literary tools for academic analysis. They should at the end of each level be able to use the skills acquired through their participation in departmental activities to analyse, compose and interpretlinguistic and literary data witha fair amount of precision and confidence. These tools should also enable them to communicate and function effectively in the public and private sectors of the Nigeria and world economy.
The philosophy behind the entire English Programme (language and Literature) is to enable learners to approximate native speaker’s control of the English language especially through speaking, reading and writing. Graduates of the programme should be able to work in various fields and professions such as: journalism, English Teaching, administration, research, speech therapy, translation and interpretation, public relation and advertising among others.
- To give students a sound and solid background in the effective mastery of the English language and literature in their various applications with the resolve to achieve adequate self expression and self actualization in the language.
- To adequately groom and prepare the students for higher degrees and other postgraduate studies in the English Language, Literature and Linguistics.
- To augment manpower of the state through working in various fields and professions such as journalism, translation, speech therapy, secretarial work etc.
- To promote qualitative English usage and teaching through training of effective and qualified graduates who will give instructional training in our various educational Institutions.
- To produce English graduates that are well equipped to meet up challenges of working in strategically important professions as public relations, advertising and public service.
|1||Dr. Iro Musa Anda||Senior Lecturer/HOD||M||PhD Literature in English|
|2||Prof. Bashir Mohammad Sambo||Professor||M||Ph.D Linguistics|
|3||Prof. Sadiya Sani Daura||Professor||F||Ph.D. English|
|4||Prof. Ibrahim Bello Kano||Professor||M||PhD. English|
|5||Dr. Ahmed Kofa Babajo||Reader||M||Ph.D. Literature|
|6||Dr. Emmanuel Quarco||Reader||M||PhD English|
|7||Dr. Mufutau A. Tijani||Reader||M||Ph.D. Applied Lings|
|8||Dr. Djibo Mamman||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D Linguistic|
|9||Dr. Khaleel Bakheet||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D Literature|
|10||Dr. Ezekeil Solomon Akuso||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D Carribean Literature|
|11||Dr. Omoha Owojecho||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D|
|12||Dr. Ahmed Mansur||Senior Lecturer||M||PhD. Ed. English|
|13||Dr. Boulama Kaoum||Senior Lecturer||M||Ph.D French|
|14||Dr. Abdullahi Ahmad||Lecturer I||M||PhD. English|
|15||Dr. Ibrahim Sani||Lecturer I||M||PhD English|
|16||Asiru T. Hameed||Lecturer ll||M||M.A. Eng. Lang.|
|17||Mohammed Sada Bature||Lecturer II||M||M.A. English|
|18||Mustapha Rumah Bala||Lecturer II||M||M.A English Literature|
|19||Abdulazeez Lawal||Lecturer ll||M||M.A. English|
|20||Bello Shamsuddeen||Lecturer II||M||M.A. English|
|21||Hodonou Nassiru||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.A. Philosophy|
|22||Abdulmumini Ibrahim||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.A. French|
|23||Nasir Umar Abdullahi||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.A. English|
|24||Abdulhakim Sa'idu||Graduate Assistant||M||B.A. English|
|25||Dikko Muhammad||Graduate Assistant||M||B.A. English|
|26||Abubakar M. Wakil||Assistant Lecturer||M||M.A French|
|27||Hauwa Yusuf Labo||Graduate Assistant||F||B.A.French|
|28||Usman Ahmad||Graduate Assistant||M||B.A. English|